Thursday, February 19, 2015

stolen moments

My school's jazz band was going to play at the Lakeland Jazz Fest tomorrow at Lakeland Community College, but school's cancelled cause its -25 degrees!!! I'm quite crushed (I really wanted to go) so I'm drowning myself in the songs we were going to play. Blues band  was gonna play "Freddie Freeloader", "Work Song", "Back At The Chicken Shack", and "Mr. PC". Our jazz band was going to play "A Riff In Time" by Jack Feierman, "Children Of Sanchez" by Chuck Mangione, "Georgia, On My Mind" by Hoagy Carmichael, and "Stolen Moments" by Oliver Nelson. Stolen is my favorite our of all of them, so here's the recording (lil different than our arrangement, even better than it)



inspired by the head + the tenor sax solo at 4:13 :)

stolen moments

your lingering eyes caught mine
a fresh pair to rid myself
of the empty shot glasses staring back at me

fancy meeting you here,
with your soul's windows darker than night
your shutters beating steady to the hi-hat

your glittering irises lure me in, 
the soft brush of your skin
crescendos through my whole being

take me beyond time and space 
with you, none are existent
for your captivating trance, has stolen me away

2 comments:

  1. Those were some intense lyrics. It's weird how words can make you feel such different things. Good luck at your performance!!

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And yeah, i always think of like a swanky party vibe with jazz songs and that's what the poem was goin for :)

      Delete