Friday, February 6, 2015

cosplay contest!

I'm finally back! Band and school has taken over my life and I honestly forgot all about this. Butttttt... I'm really feelin' this writing/sharing lameness, so I'm up to it now. 

Way back in October, my school's Comic Book Club held a cosplay contest. Since I'm a short haired, mini girl...I decided to cosplay Toph Bei Fong from Avatar: The Last Airbender!!                                                                                                We had to draw a draft and document every single step of the way (perfect for future blogging :-) This is my first cosplay ever, so I didn't know how to do anything at all, but I think I did a damn good job, if I do say so myself.
So here's my Toph cosplay just to show you, and here's some ideas if you wanna make your own. 


What I Used
        • 3 yards of pale yellow fabric
        • 1 yard of green fabric 
        •  Leftover fusible fleece (used wayyy less than a yard) 
        •  Cotton Balls 
        •  Thread, seam/hem tape, an iron, and a sewing machine (I pretty much hemmed everything, but I honestly hate sewing and love ironing, so I used the seam/hem tape for all of it.) 
        •  Wide, rough, brown ribbon 
        •  A basic black headband and some bobby pins 
        •  Green sweatpants and short sleeved sweater from Goodwill   
        •  Buttons/clasps (I like clasps better, I used about 18 ?) 


Here's the draft of what I wanted
shout out to my toes
  

It started as a newspaper cut out because I had no idea how to make a shirt (??) or anything like that.  I wasted a ton of fabric with this step so I had to add the bottom toga-like part at the bottom to the back piece later. I left a weird flap-like thing to connect the back and front, and then added 2 clasps. Then I sewed all these pieces together so they fit slightly loose. 




I measured some fusible fleece over my head and cut it to fit, then wrapped the front in green fabric and fused it together. Then, I took the yellow fabric and cut it out just like Toph's, and sewed it right on top. I used Elmer's glue to stick some cotton balls together and fabric glue to stick the larger balls onto the headband thing. Finally, I used bobby pins to pin the fabric to a plain black headband. 


I took green fabric and the ribbon and measured across my ankles and wrists, and then sewed them together. I used 2 clasps per wrist thing, and 1 clasp per ankle thing to keep them together. The ribbon had a metal outside part that made it easy to just fold it under so I didn't hem the sides of these.
  



These fab felt-y pants were like 2 bucks. Just hemmed them quite a bit.
And that's it!!

We took pictures doing things like our characters, so me and my friends went to the park to take some sweet ass pics B)
Our adventure included walking around town in our costumes (and me mostly in bare feet in the end of October), getting Burger King, and talking to lots of strangers where we learned that if you dress weird, people think that gives them permission to talk to you. We were planning on using these for our Halloween costumes, but it rained and was cold as shit so we all did different things, so we only really wore these for this and the contest ;P

Finished Product
✧*.◟(ˊᗨˋ)◞.*✧ᗯ੨~ɪ̊♪ْ˖⋆







My BFFs and me being dumb as hell
photo cred to our fab friend talia
Behind the tree, is Kristen. She mixed Jeff the Killer and Slenderman and made a KICK ASS costume, complete with face paint and doctoring her own tentacles out of tights and cotton. And then, Kayla, next to me, cosplayed Marceline the Vampire Queen ^-^ complete with grey face paint and a paper mache bass!!! 

And guess what??? ME AND KAYLA WON!!! 
٩(◕‿◕。)۶

Thanks for reading, 
               love, rachel rae

No comments:

Post a Comment